Tuesday, May 27, 2008

$129,000 is the new $50,000



I love Time. I used to read it a lot when I had a study hall and could just go to the library and, well, read Time. Not so much anymore though.

The love is still there, as shown through this pretty cool article on essentially international health care, something I honestly care little about (I know I'm a terrible person). However, good writing can make me want to read just about anything.

Basically, some Stanford economists have gone back and looked at the price insurance companies are willing to pay for "quality life" for one year (currently $50,000), and discovered that with basically inflation, the true number should be nearly three times that.

My take: it would be greta if every single man, woman, and child in the world could somehow be promised $132,000 in health care, if the need arose. Probably not so feasible though.




In related news, NPR just did a segment on "This I Believe," called "What is the True Value of a Human Life?" They interview Kenneth Feinberg, who had to decide the amount of monetary compensation families of 9/11 victims and the Virginia Tech shooting victims would recieve. Pretty thought provoking stuff.


Overall Conclusion: [Yakov Smirnoff] In Capitalist America, money own you! [/Yakov] No but forrealsies, it is scary to think that the government can use money you don't have to control your healthcare, quality of life post-retirement, and most outlandishly, your grieving process.

No comments: