Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The (fairly) rational side speaking



I'm bad at introductory paragraphs, I don't think I can state that enough. Maybe this is also a little case of random blogging, but I feel that at the very least I need to let my voice be heard.

I'm a big of a fan as any when it comes to my high school. I think that the total education a person receives there is the best. I feel that even the meaning of "total education" is misunderstood by those who did not attend.

My school taught me both that the hypotenuse of a right-angle triangle is equal to the square root of the sum length of the sides squared and that each person should be respected equally for who they are, not in spite of it.

My school taught me that sometimes you need to get out of the comfort zone a little bit to raise some money for a good cause (either through calling a couple companies or "selling a damn ad").

My school also taught me that success is not a right, but a privilege. I was actually taught that many times over, whether it be on the football field, or the basketball court against Trotwood-Madison in the playoffs, or just looking down the halls occasionally and playing the "who will still be here next year" game (no, I never played that game, at least consciously). Only you can truly make something of yourself.

However, I was also taught that success was within reach of any person who stretched hard enough. The person who taught me that was Aaron Mackey. He wasn't a teacher, or even one of our 17 school principles. He was the superintendent of the entire district. For the record (contrary to what some may believe), I was not the student council president, nor did I have rich parents (I wish) or any relationship with the school board.

I had contact with Dr. Mackey through Princeton Entertainment Group (PEG). PEG was a group of about five students who for some freakish reason or another had a vested interest in the music business. This ranged from audiophiles to tired-and-true-techies to people who saw (and still see, to keep things straight) the field as a career, or a combination of those and many other characteristics. What we lacked in numbers (and oh did we ever lack in numbers) we made up for in determination to create, in hindsight, some relatively awesome productions. This included bringing in professional artists, creating some truly professional looking stages, and going on a weeklong tour of the southwestern United States (tour busses and all) with the school's equally impressive jazz band.

I remember one meeting specifically with Dr. Mackey back in my sophomore year. At that time, PEG had visions of a lobster buffet but only had the money for catfish. All it took was one meeting at Big Boy for Mackey to meet "the kids" and it was a done deal. We were given full support of anything we deemed worthy, whether that be financially or in time spent in the school outside of school hours (see: weekend overnights). The only problem after that was all of the intermediaries up to Mackey, but that is another topic completely.


"Princeton City Schools is at a critical juncture requiring accelerated progress on the challenges and opportunities that face the district." - School Board Vice President Lillian Hawkins


I have always believed that Dr. Mackey had a vision to create Princeton High School into a statewide powerhouse. He did not have to say that he wanted to have every student succeed without boundaries, he showed it. There is no other way I can say it, he was the ONLY person within "Central Office" that showed any sort of passion for the future of my school. At a critical juncture for an organization I put a hell of a lot of effort (and one speeding ticket) into, Mackey was there so that we could accelerate forward. Shit, in two years, the man has already left a bigger mark on the district than any previous superintendent through the construction of all new elementary schools, some well before they needed it. On top of that, he is supporting a $141 million bond issue for the construction of a very necessary all new middle school and high school. In my opinion, having spent the past four years there, the construction of a new high school is proactive, to say the least.



So I ask this to the school board: What more do you want?

I feel that through not renewing his contract, you demonstrated yet again that education is sadly just another business now. As soon as I hear a reasoned, justifiable statement from the President of the School Board explaining the need for such a top-level change in a time of sweeping district-wide development there will be a very, very bitter taste in my mouth.

As the most recent alumnus the district can speak for and as a tax-paying voter (maybe that will get through to you) I find this to be a very disappointing, irrational decision. I am eager to hear from you. Who am I though, anyways? I'm just one person. Why would you care?

Dr. Mackey cared.

5 comments:

calencoriel said...

I should probably know this,but where did you get your stats?

And...if you get any answers to your questions, there are a whole line of teachers and staff at your alma mater who want to hear the answers as well...most of us are still trying to pick our jaws up off the floor...

joey said...

woops, thanks for the reminder.

http://www.princeton.k12.oh.us/pcsd/co/State-of-District-2007.html

far from the most unbiased source, but statistics don't lie, right? right? :-\

andrew said...

unfortunatly I hadn't heard. This was news to me :(

PHSChemGuy said...

Very well written.

I didn't - and don't - know Mackey personally and don't have the same affection/respect for him that clearly do, but it was a shock to me, as well.

I'm impressed with the post, and I'm going to go hunting the state of the district down now.

Thanks.

achilles3 said...

Joey that was an awesome post.
The people that should be let go are fools on the board and all the HR people.

good for you for speaking out!