Thursday, November 19, 2009

Top 5 Artists of 1st Semester of Junior Year




It's weird how it works when you think about it. Certain songs take me right back to an exact moment in time. Most ironic in my lifetime thus far has been the Three's Company theme song during a "first kiss" moment. May have ruined the gushy romance of all of it at the time, but given how I have rarely taken much of the gushy romance seriously anyways, I wouldn't have it any other way.

A few other songs that have exact moments tied to them for me:

"What Hurts the Most"

"Crush" - Specifically the Live at Radio City version

"Elanor Rigby" - actually, this one is a dual memory: freshman year sitting in my dorm with nothing but the UD lights on above me, and driving up to the stop sign at Creek and Eljay - and I have no idea why the second one exists)


"Shipping up to Boston
" - St. Patricks Day, Junior year in high school; aka green vomit)

"Kashmir" - The song that was on when I got in my car wreck, that song will never be the same

"You Got It Bad" - I think I heard this on the bus ride to high school every morning in junior high. Therefore, I smell the dust/pre-pubescent B.O./overloaded Ax every time it comes on. Still, great song.

The list goes on, but onto the top 5 artists for here and now:

5.) Paramore - Hayley is hot, and has a hell of a voice to go with it. If things don't work out with Chad, I'm here baby girl.
4.) Mike Posner - This one is more because this semester was the first, and will probably be the only time, I listen to him.
3.) Drake - Called this one
2.) Third Eye Blind - Gonna have to thank Saturday's at the stoop for this one.
1.) Miley - For better or for worse, this song will always be attached to the past four months.


If anyone out there has any big flashback songs, lemme hear em.

3 comments:

Murr Nation said...

If that list doesn't say something about the terrible state of music right now, then I don't know what does...

joey said...

cant really disagree with you there... you have paramore who is solid in their own right, then a newb place filler, drake (who is the shit), then a band that has been around for over 10 years and miley cyrus, who i never want to hear again but the shear volume of playings has catapulted her to the top

in the end though, i dont think it's so much about "good" or bad as much as it is memorable. in fact, i would say that the shitty artists had an easier time getting to the top 5 because i usually wouldn't listen to them if given the option. So, rather than connecting them with "hey, i like them!" its "not this song again, damn ive listened to miley a lot the past 4 months".

achilles3 said...

I think the state of music is amazing right now.