Monday, December 3, 2007

Jimmy V

After a thorough study I have come to decide that 73.5% of the time I can't stand ESPN. I have ESPN on for background noise at the very least, on average, 8 hours of my waking hours now. It's sickening, really.

Good news is that about 26.5% of the time they really do come up with something worth watching (interestingly, 15% of said time involves Chris Berman). Their support of the Jimmy V foundation kind of hits a soft spot for me. This may sound harsh, but I really have no idea why. I think a great deal of it has to do with how outstanding this speech at the ESPY's Jimmy made really is.

The message of the speech is so translatable through almost any struggle; medical, personal, or otherwise.

If you've never seen it, watch it. If you have, watch it again.






A couple things that stand out:



  • It's jolting how short "forever" can mean in some circumstances.

  • Maybe I'm playing a demented sort of "Monday morning Quarterback," but this looks like a guy speaking with both a message and nothing to lose. He speaks to an audience of a few thousand like they are just one collective person.

  • I hate audio delays on videos. Grr.

  • This is one of the few youtube pages in which not one comment bashes another. It's the little things in life that I notice...

  • The "30 seconds" comment had to probably be the most awkward feeling in that producer's life.

His three things really do make for a heck of a day. I know everybody has had at least one of those.

1 comment:

achilles3 said...

I cry EVERY TIME I see this...gimme a minute and I'll reload :-)
JIMMY V forever!!!