Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It's happening

This is the week I look forward to the other 51 out of the year. When fall is in full bloom, most of the trees are noticeably sporting their colors, and football season is fully under way.

Yes, it's Southern Cal week.

If it weren't for my team's end of the bargain not being held up for just about a decade now, it would still be considered the greatest rivalry in all of college football. Instead, I doubt many would let it crack the top 5. This is probably more because of their hate for Notre Dame and unwillingness to give them credit for anything than any true shittiness of the game, but so be it.

FWIW, my top 5, based on today's college football climate:

1.) Texas/Oklahoma - The Red River Rivalry has made and broken the National Championship dreams of these two teams every year since Vince Young was still in college. I'm far from a Big 12 fan, but this is as big as it gets anymore.

2.) OSU/Michigan - Personally, I think Big 10 games are a snoozefest. This game always gets hyped to shit by one side or the other, even though Michigan has been balled up and pooped since... I can't even remember how long. It's been a while though. Bold prediction: expect the pooping on to end this year. I'm not saying they are going to win, but OSU is just that bad offensively that they may let Michigan stay in this one.

3.) Alabama/LSU - Nick Saban. Combine that storyline with the fact that the SEC really is just more fun to watch than any of the integer conferences, and you have the #3 best rivalry.

4.) Florida/whoever-they-are-playing-this-week - Until Tim "Jesus" Tebow is gone, that school will be hyped to shit by the media, giving every team on their schedule plenty of reason to hate them come Saturday. In the end, Meyer is just too good and has had his pick of players since as long as he has been there. I don't see the domination going anywhere soon.

5.) ND/USC - If you didn't think I would have this in the top 5, you're insane. October 15, 2005 will be a date that will always be remembered in my heart. My junior homecoming. We ate at the now defunct Waston Bros. Good choice, considering we all temporarily ditched the dates to watch the last 5 minutes of one of the greatest games of the 21st century. Freakin' Reggie Bush....

I can't watch this much, but for anyone who wants to relive it, be my guest:

No comments: