Saturday, February 28, 2009

And the list gets longer...

For the first time owning a PS3 I can honestly say that I have a bonafide game wishlist. Not my typical "on if I were to win a million dollars I would buy this this this and this," I always have one of those.

No no, this is a list of games that if you find me in a weak moment I just may go out and buy. And I'll definitely end up buying more than one. At $60 a pop, that is no small statement. The list is as follows (in a somewhat particular order):

1.) Killzone 2 - Holy shit. Granted, I don't have a 360 so I have actually never played Gears of War and my Halo 3 time is limited, but after playing just the demo for this, I'm thinking we may have a new best FPS for consoles. Unlike over 90% of games in this generation, the gameplay is on par with the graphics. And oh (again..) holy shit (/again...) is that saying something:

Picture this at a cool 60 fps. Try not to wet the bed. (Click for a higher res)


Video - The framerate isn't that bad in game:




2.) Little Big Planet - After getting the tease of a weekend long beta play, I'm really surprised this one isn't already on my shelf. Either way, still one of my favorite games out currently (with NO BLOOD OR GUTS OR FOOTBALLS EVEN!, how 'bout that ma!). I dig the creation capabilities and since release they have really embraced the download-able content (DLC) scene with weekly (usually free) releases of new goodies. A good game just gets better.

3.) Skate 2 - This one intriques me. Usually the skating genre is Tony Hawk's to lay claim to, but this new franchise is starting to make some serious ground and worry the Tony Hawkers. The motion-based controls seem somewhat gimmicky to me, but I'm not gonna knock it until I've tried it.

4.) Every Rock Band song available for download - God, I like this game. Consider me the next Ringo once MTV game's next rhythm game comes out (consider it number 3.5 on this list). It damn well better support Rock Band "instruments".

5.) Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - I loved the first game in this uber-realistic "military strategy" (they don't like to be called shooters) series when I played it on Xbox, it just looked like something that was released before technology would fully allow it to achieve its objective. Maybe the power of the consoles in this generation will really make this shine. Sadly though, this is the type of game that is best bought on the PC so the mod scene can really get a hold of it and make it amazing. It seems like it could still fare well on the consoles though... we'll see.

6.) Watchmen: The End is Nigh - This would be a bit of a fanboy purchase more than anything. I can't imagine it being much more than a made for the movie release type game. Those types of games generally are the worst types of games. Save Goldeneye... ah sweet sweet Goldeneye. The price seems a bit steep for a "PSN" release too; they generally hover near $10.00, slightly more than a Blockbuster rental.

7.) NCAA Football '10 - Premature? Hell yes. I have high hopes (slash expectations) that EA will finally get it right on their third or fourth or whatever it is now year on this generation. '09 was right on the cusp of the greatness of the old PS2 games, but still no I-AA teams, playbook creator, etc. kept it from being perfect. Fix a few of these things and we could have a winner. Or create a Head Coach for college football. The differences between coaching in college and the pros are immense (ask Charlie) and it could make for one hell of a sports simulation.

No comments: