Monday, October 27, 2008

Adventures of a poor college kid


In the latest search for the almighty dollar, I am seriously considering going the blood-plasma donation route. By seriously considering, I mean I have an appointment for 1:00 tomorrow. It seems a little too good to be true.

I go in at one and sign in. They then give me a physical (for the first appointment) to make sure I'm in good health (if I'm not, news to me) and don't have AIDs (if I do, news to me). Then they do what is essentially a blood donation which is then spun in a centrifuge so all the blood cells fall out, leaving the liquid plasma (with the clotting factors included, with a big shout out going to a special someone since I actually understand how this could be useful).

A lot of the blood plasma is used for people with blood clotting issues (hemophiliacs for instance) when a moderate-severe blood loss occurs. Sometimes people with liver disease need it to. Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe by removing the actual cells, blood plasma is universal for all blood types (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

Basically, the way I see it, I'm doing a good deed, have no fear of needles or blood, and I'm getting paid $40 a pop for it. Sounds pretty unbeatable to me.

2 comments:

achilles3 said...

40 bucks was a ton in college...I miss those days.

calencoriel said...

This is like the reverse of "giving a double" where they inject the plasma back into you after you give two pints of blood. You actually get to watch the centrifuge while you're hooked up and then the plasma (which hilariously looks like beer...foam and all) back into you before removing the second dose of red cells.

It's a wild ride in that the plasma is injected back into you at room temperature while you're a toasty 98.6 degrees F and it literally feels like you have ice water being injected into your veins. When my teeth started chattering uncontrollably they brought me the blankets from the warmer - good times. Because you've had all your fluids replaced - they re-inject both pints of plasma after centrifuging - you're much less likely to pass out, feel nauseous or light headed and you can leave the place a lot quicker when all is said and done. It does take twice as long to do and your time between donations is longer, but you're saving more lives with one sitting.

You don't get paid for it though, aside from the whole altruistic, I've done good thing.

I dig the fact that you still understand clotting factors and the whole good deed thing is exactly correct. Unless you're donating plasma to support your crystal meth habit, I think you're in the clear.

Oh...and yes, blood plasma is universal for all blood types. From Wikipedia:It is composed of mostly water (90% by volume), and contains dissolved proteins, glucose, clotting factors, mineral ions, hormones and carbon dioxide. At no point do they mention antigen proteins.

Good luck, dude, hope you get a good sticker for the injection.