Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Beautiful Music my ass

It's been a project a few months in the making and (combined with being in front of a computer about 8 hours a day at work already) a large reason of my dropoff in blog content, but I can finally say I have made some progress on the vinyl to digital conversion.

I can officially put Barry Manilow Live in the done pile and move on to something I actually enjoy. After two straight days of hearing him, I feel like I deserve it.

I remember casually talking to a certain chemistry teacher in high school about the possibility of doing something like this. Knowing that I dabbled in audio engineering at school, he asked me about how complicated it would be to transfer albums to CD. I believe at the time I said I couldn't imagine it being much harder than plugging the "out" of the record player into a line in and using something like Audacity (a wonderful free program, by the way) to record it digitally.

Well, I was half right. Turns out 99% of record players need to have a separate pre-amp to get any kind of clean sound out of them. After a quick google search I came across this bad boy and as of yet have absolutely no complaints. It works exactly as it should. /shameless plug

Moving onward. Once I was getting sound into the computer I dabbled within my slightly more complicated sound editing program to get a layout that would be best suited for this venture, as opposed to, you know, recording a band. After getting all my EQs and other plugins tuned, then it was a simple hit record type of process that I initially thought it would be.

So overall, more complicated than I first thought, but still not too terrible. And yes, I know that there are USB record players out there now that basically take away the need for all this fancy shmancy doo-hickie-ing and whatnot, but going about it the one-stop-shopping way has never really quite been my thing. And, once I get done with all the vinyl, this whole setup is just a switch of plugs away from working for cassette to digital. Talk about flexibility...

If anyone has (or still is) considering this - or wants to offer some monetary compensation in exchange for my best effort at a "digitally remastered" copy of your favs - leave a comment. That is if anyone even reads this anymore...


Helloooo out there.....

4 comments:

pbarker said...

Fanilow!

PHSChemGuy said...

Oh, people still read this. That's what RSS feeds are for.

I'll have to check with mom to see if there's anything she wants transferred to digital. What kinda financial remuneration would we be talking about?

joey said...

meh, really not much at all, im a reasonable guy. im thinkin $5 for 5 would be good, basically enough to cover the CD and case (or sleeve, if you want to go about that route) Anything under that I'll do for free.

Now, in a timely fashion (for example, within a week or less), that may be a little more difficult. I'm not trying to make a business out of this though, and I'm smart enough to know that I wouldn't pay more than that because the CD essentially still sounds just like it did on the record, pops and crackles included.


So yea, that whole digitally remastered phrase was kind of a blatent lie...

achilles3 said...

I love this stuff! And Audacity is the bees knees!!!
Next time you're in Korea I pay top dollar;-)