Thursday, January 8, 2009

How many roads must a man walk down?


This week I finally got around to reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, a book I've been interested in for years and avoided seeing the movie for reason of avoiding it ruining the book for me (both because of spoilers and the quality).

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe is already on hold. Douglas Adams is probably one of the best character builders I have experienced. Whether it's Arthur Dent, your average Joe, Ford Prefect, the automobile-named alien who intended to be on Earth for a week only to be forgotten about for 15 years to finally have to escape to leave, or Marvin, the manic-depressive robot. They all have a sense of depth, personality, and even a unique voice of sorts (and sense of humor).

Writing a book based around a veritable encyclopedia of the universe can't be an easy task. Small pieces of the guide are mentioned throughout the novel, helping to build the reader's understanding of the history of the universe and provide more lighthearted comic relief.

Which is the reason I'm planning on reading the whole series now. Sure, the characters are wonderful and the ability any sci-fi writer worth his salt has to create a whole universe (and it's unique machines) astounds me, but Adams does all of it with a sort of lightheartedness that I really can't get enough of. I'm not a huge reader by any means. So when I actively want to read a book rather than turn on the PS3, it's a huge compliment to the abilities of the writer. This writer has me hooked.

2 comments:

PHSChemGuy said...

Hitchiker's - 8 on a 10 scale
Restaurant - 6
Life - 5
So Long - 9
Don't Panic - 4

Things don't stay good throughout the next couple - and the fifth book is horrible.

Glad you enjoyed the first one, though. Slog through the next couple to get to the fourth one.

His series about Dirk Gently is more enjoyable - and similar in style - from start to finish.

joey said...

I forgot about the Dirk Gently series. Over the summer I read The Rough Guide to Cult Fiction (or something like that... its at the library, good book) and it mentioned the Dirk Gently series also being better. i'll try to find that. god knows ill have the time, being home while im working this semester and all